Saturday, October 15, 2016

Don’t Judge A Book By Its Cover




What is the first thought that comes to your mind when you think of a Pitbull? I can guarantee it’s not a description of a warm fuzzy animal. Instead, most people think they are viscous, mean predators out to devour half of the human population. I was one of those people at one time until, my husband brought home a stray dog. I can vividly remember as being an awfully dirty, smelly, skinny, and sad appearing dog. Now, a year and a half later, I can tell you that the love that I have for this dog which I named Muscles is immense. Muscles has become an asset to my family in many ways for my children he has become their companion especially when they need to feel comfort after a stressful day in school. As for myself, he has aided me as a therapy dog which has helped my anxiety level go dawn tremendously. Muscles constant love, playfulness and affection is not only seen by our family who loves him but from complete strangers as well. Once a stranger gets to know him they I notice how their fear of this breed changes and they often say to me “after getting to know Muscles I have come to realize not all Pitbull’s are bad that it’s the owners that make the dog who they are.” I believe this statement to be true as my dog is a true example: “A well-loved dog is a good dog.”

Tell me your pet stories?

Vocabulary:
  •  Pitbull (noun) --a dog
  • viscous (adjective) --brutal, savage
  •  predators (noun) --an animal that naturally preys on others or a person or group that exploits others. 
  • devour (verb) --eat hungrily, consume,  

  •  population (noun) --people, community, society

  •  stray (verb) --move away, get separated
  • immense (adjective) --huge, massive

  • companion (noun) --associate, partner

  •  aided (verb) --help, assist
  • breed (noun) --describing a type of animal. 

Vocabulary Exercise: 

Fill in the blanks with the correct vocabulary word.

  1. I went to the store and asked the owner “what type of ___________ is that beautiful dog? The owner replied a______________.
  2. Lions are very_______________ and tend to be________________ among other animals.
  3. The __________dog that we found ______________all the food we gave him.
  4. This school has a high ___________________of ESL students.
  5. Laura has such an ________________love for her pet dog cooper which she views as her ______________. 
  6.   Andrea ___________ her friend up the stairs.
Grammar Point: In the English grammar there are articles the and a/an that refer to a specific or particular noun the is a definite article and a/an the indefinite article. For example, if I say, “let’s take the car instead of the truck,” I mean a specific type of automobile. 

Grammar Assignment: Write five sentences utilizing the vocabulary, I have provided within the passage you just read. Remember to include within your sentences articles the and a/an

1 comment:

  1. I don't think that any dog is violent and nasty by nature. I think that people make them that way by inbreeding, poor breeding, and poor training. I find that my cats are very therapeutic, so I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete