Saturday, October 15, 2016

Unfortunate Outcome




Image result for holiday cartoon

Now that September is here I started to reminisce on all the holidays that I have celebrated with my family, friends as well as my preschool students. One of my fondest memories has always been the decorations that I tended to do with my students in representation of those holidays. But unfortunately, I received notification from our school administration that this year we cannot create any of those holiday decorations due to, our new school curriculum not permitting it! I find this news terribly disappointing because I believe that preschool students especially ESL students that have not resided in the United States since birth should have the opportunity to experience some American traditions that are now part of their new-found culture. 

Do you find this unfair or have a similar experience?

Vocabulary:


  •  started (verb) --begin, commence, get underway

  •  holidays (noun) -- festivity or celebration

  • celebrated (adjective) --festive, something you do with your family or friends that could involve music, food, and decorations 

  •  fondest (adjective) --loving, caring, affectionate

  •  memories (plural noun) --something you can remember from your past.

  •  decorations (noun) --something that is added to something else to make it more attractive.

  •  tended (verb) --regularly behave in a particular way.

  •   representation (noun) --portrayal

  •  unfortunately (adverb) --sadly, unhappily

  •  received (verb) --person was given something.

  •  notification (noun) --telling, alerting  

  •   terribly (adverb)--awfully, very bad

  •  disappointing (adjective) --unfortunate, discouraging  

  •  resided (verb) --where a person lives. 

  •  experience (verb) -- encounter, meet 



Vocabulary Exercise:
Fill in the blanks with the correct vocabulary word.
  1. Angela said one of her ____________memories is her wedding day.
  2. _______________, this was not my brother best game of the year he played ________________.
  3. My mother __________________in a small town in Ecuador named Manavi. 
  4.  I ______________to study for my final last week.
  5.  Last year my family and I ________________thanksgiving in Florida, it was the best _____________ever.
  6. Last year Tommy _________________to go to the barbershop for a haircut every Friday.  

Grammar Point: All sentences must always have a subject and a predicate. A subject in a sentence tells whom or what the sentence is about. Whereas, the predicate tells what the subject is or is doing.

Grammar Assignment: On the sentences provided in the vocabulary exercise draw a line under the subject and a predicate in each of the sentences.

1 comment:

  1. Nice entry! So sad about the banning of holiday decorations.

    ReplyDelete